Salary - £49,549 - £54,412 - Including Market Rate Supplement (Pay award pending)
Do you want to make a difference to local people?
As one of the largest legal practices in the area, our dedicated Legal Service teams strive to get the best outcomes for people in Kirklees.
The Safeguarding Children and Adults Team is one of the specialist teams within Kirklees Legal Services.
We act for the council on a range of matters including Public Law Proceedings relating to children and cases in the Court of Protection. We work closely with the council’s social work teams who provide services to vulnerable children and adults.
As part of this role you will be expected to prepare cases for court using our excellent case management and court bundling systems. You will also appear as an advocate and instruct counsel where required, specifically within the field of child safeguarding and adult social care and safeguarding.
You will also be expected to provide advice and representation in relation to safeguarding adults and be prepared to develop your skills in this area.
We are looking for someone with a positive approach who enjoys working as part of a team. You will be supported by our Assistant Legal Officers and Business Support team.
If you are ambitious to develop your skills and knowledge in legal services, and want to know more about the legal issues that affect local authorities – this is the role for you. We put a strong emphasis on training and personal development, and want to support you to be the best you can be.
What you will bring
You will be a qualified Solicitor holding a current practising certificate, or you will be a Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives who holds a Civil Proceedings Certificate (or who is a Legal Executive Advocate).
You will also have the ability and experience of drafting application forms and complex court documentation to support Local Authority applications in public law children act proceedings.
Do you have any experience in the following areas?
We are looking for someone with experience in at least one of the following areas, but experience in more than one area would be beneficial.
- Children Act 1989 – Public & Private Law Applications
- Adoption and Children Act 2002 – Public & Private Law Applications
- Care Act 2014
- Mental Health Act 1983, Community Care, Mental Capacity Act
- Advocacy in public & private children proceedings
- Advocacy in public or private law adoption or special guardianship applications
- Judicial Review/Administrative Law
Kirklees Council offers these benefits to all its employees:
- 27.5 days annual leave increasing to 32.5 after 5 years’ service (plus bank holidays).
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Travel and parking discounts
- Exceptional Maternity and Paternity leave policies
- Local Government Pension
- Access to Employee Healthcare that offers a range of services from counselling to physiotherapy and health assessments.
- Hybrid working
Learn more about Kirklees Council Staff Benefits.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role, please telephone Margaret Miller who is Head of the Safeguarding Children and Adults Legal Team on 01484 221 000.