To apply for this job you must be an employee of Kirklees Council for the duration of the recruitment process – up to and including the start date - and have successfully completed your probationary period. Please note that if you work for an Academy you are not an employee of the Council.
As a Parks Development Officer you will play a key role in the future of parks and green spaces across Kirklees. You will provide support, technical expertise and guidance on a range of activities and initiatives, with the overarching aim being to improve the spaces and the facilities within, working towards a more successful and sustainable future for their management and maintenance.
You will work with community groups, organisations, ward members, residents and colleagues in order to strengthen the role that Green spaces play in our communities, and be actively engaged in the Council’s volunteering agenda, whereby an emphasis is being placed on residents and communities taking a more active role in how our spaces are cared for.
Currently the role is engaged in two key areas of work
- Work closely with the Programme Manager on the ongoing development and implementation of the Playable Spaces project, aiming to revitalise and transform the formal and informal outdoor play provision across Kirklees.
- Work with the wider Council team, community groups, ward members and residents on a range of projects and schemes, aiming to improve and develop our outdoor spaces in line with the Council and community priorities
As a Parks Development Officer you will have:
- Detailed understanding of Green space agendas to develop sustainable programmes which support the New Council vision.
- Experience of working with large organisations, managing relationships with managers and colleagues or direct reports.
- Experience of managing capital projects, delivering outcomes to timescale, within budget, training and providing guidance to staff/ volunteers as and when required.
- Business/financial skills and experience, including sourcing third party funding and management/understanding of budgets.
- Experience of landscape development and management, acting as Clerk of Works on capital projects and the principles of green space regeneration.
- Ability to monitor the achievement of objectives for individuals and activity.
- Thorough understanding of health and safety and how it relates to this area of work to ensure safe systems of work are in place.
Travel is an essential part of this job and therefore it would be extremely difficult for you to do your job effectively if you did not use a car for all or most of the time. It is essential that you hold a full and valid driving licence.