If you love the outdoors, whatever the weather, and would take pride in making improvements to the Kirklees environment then we would like to hear from you.
We’re the Parks and Greenspaces Team and it’s our job to maintain the parks and recreation fields, crematoria and green and urban spaces around homes across the district.
Our Gardeners are the public face of the team in the community so we’re looking for helpful, positive and friendly people to join us in our work to keep Kirklees clean, safe and accessible for all members of our community.
The Role: Gardener
As a Gardener you will be part of a team undertaking a broad range of horticultural and landscape maintenance operations within a geographical area.
Your team will undertake general maintenance of green spaces, such as recreation grounds, housing areas, public parks and schools, including the maintenance and preparation of winter sports pitches, fine turf and areas of horticultural interest such as shrub beds, herbaceous planting and annual bedding.
You will be able to build and maintain effective working relationships and communicate effectively with customers, colleagues and stakeholders.
This is a physically demanding role, so you need to be fit enough to work with the equipment safely, bend, lift, work at heights and walk for considerable periods in all weathers – if a job needs doing the team do it regardless of the weather conditions!
Requirements for this job:
- Experience of working in a similar role, knowledge of the Health and Safety requirements applicable to this type of work and the ability to communicate positively with members of the public.
- Understanding horticultural/landscape maintenance operations.
- Hold a full driving licence in order to drive appropriate vehicles and have the ability to pass the Kirklees Drivers Assessment.
- NVQ Level 2 within horticulture or equivalent qualification, or willingness to undertake training relevant to the post.
- Food and Environmental and Protection Act (FEPA) Pesticides Application 1 and 6a qualifications.
- Ability to interpret and implement site plans.
- Willingness to undertake an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check. Please note that a conviction may not exclude candidates from appointment but will be considered as part of the recruitment process.
You will be contracted to work on any 5 days out of 7 days (Monday to Sunday).
For a full list of the role requirements please see the attached Job Profile.
What can we offer?
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Ongoing training and career development
- Excellent pension scheme
- A range of family friendly polices, including flexible working
- We offer a wide range of well-being initiatives including a cycle to work scheme and discounted KAL membership
The interview date is to be confirmed and will include a practical assessment of your use of machinery.