Kirklees Council are advertising this role on behalf of Exceed Academies Trust.
Working with the Chief Estates Officer and wider Trust Central Team, the Estates, Safety and Compliance Officer will support in ensuring effective Health, Safety and Compliance practices throughout the Trust. The postholder will act as the Trust’s lead competent person for Health, Safety and Compliance, ensuring all current health and safety legislation and approved codes of practice are met as well as being continuously improved. Supporting leaders across the Trust with all Health, Safety and Compliance matters The Estates, Safety and Compliance Officer will ensure complete compliance by providing advice and guidance on the implementation of health and safety policies, procedures, standards and other best practice methods across all current and future sites.
Duties and responsibilities
Advice and Guidance
- Providing competent Health, Safety, compliance, and Environmental advice to the Trust
- To co-ordinate, support and advise on all aspects with regards to Health, Safety and Compliance
- Advise on and ensure the completion and regular review of risk assessments across the Trust including external trips and visits
- Develop, advise and support each setting in the use of the Trusts asset management system
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work legislation and communicate relevant changes to the business
- Establish a structured programme of health & safety training throughout the Trust
- Ensure a safe Trust wide environment for all through the co-ordination and development of health & safety policies, systems of work and procedures
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to, applied consistently and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated
- To establish, manage and monitor standards, processes, communications, training and systems to ensure all responsibilities associated with Health, Safety and Compliance within the Trust are adhered to
- Ensure the Trust meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and compliance including statutory training and reporting
- Ensure that near miss, accident reporting, investigation and subsequent improvements are implemented in a standardised manner across the Trust
- Ensure that all compliance and safety inspections are carried out and reported via the Trusts systems in a timely manner
- Undertake the Trusts Health, Safety and Compliance audits across all settings
- Liaise with external contractors, consultants and bodies as and when required with regard to compliance audits
- Engaging with site managers and office staff on a regular basis to continuously monitor compliance and safety systems
- To further develop the Trusts compliance, reporting and dashboard systems to provide real time health, safety and compliance data
- Ensure audits and checks are continuously reviewed in line with new legislation and GEMS
- Ensure full and accurate health and safety and training records are maintained across all settings
- Liaise with external health & safety consultants in the provision of training programmes and health and safety services
- To develop a trust wide and school-centric health and safety committee process to ensure best practice, compliance, and continuous improvement across all areas
- Oversee the induction and on-going CPD in Health, Safety and Compliance for the Trust workforce.
- Provide input into regular reports to Trust, Headteachers and Trustees on relevant health, safety and compliance activities
- Further develop the business continuity process for the Trust and individual settings
- Support and provide input into the 5-year development plans for each setting
- To support the Chief Estates Officer to develop and advise on the Trusts approach to carbon reduction and CSR
- Support the Chief Estates Officer in the continuous development of the Trust estate through minor and major work programmes
- Liaise with external contractors, consultants and bodies as and when required with regard to building works
- Support the Chief Estates Officer to ensure the Trust estate as a whole is sustainable and fit for purpose
- Undertake appropriate and regular training and development to maintain his/her knowledge and improve practice
- Keep up to date with current educational developments and legislation affecting estates, safety and compliance
- Participate in regular performance management processes
- Perform such other tasks as may be determined from time to time.
The post-holder should take considerable pride in their work and the strength of their working relationships. They need to be adaptable, work flexibly, possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, use their own initiative, and have exceptional attention to detail.
There is a flexible approach to working from home. A driving license is required. The post-holder will need their own car, insured to cover business use. Expenses will be paid for business travel. You will be required to work flexibly to support the needs of the Trust.
NB. The duties and responsibilities highlighted in this job specification are indicative and may vary over time. Post holders are expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities relevant to the nature, level and scope of the post and the grade has been established on this basis.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity in further detail, please contact Emma Hendry, Chief HR Officer on 07967 390793 or email email@example.com
For an application form please visit the Exceed Academies Trust Website.
Please return completed application forms by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday 11th July at 9am.
Interviews will be held: Week of 18th July 2022.
Exceed Academies Trust are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff within the Trust to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check and to register with the DBS update service.