To apply for this job you must be an employee of Kirklees Council for the duration of the recruitment process – up to and including the start date - and have successfully completed your probationary period. Please note that if you work for an Academy you are not an employee of the Council.
The Repairs and Maintenance service provides a first class and comprehensive service to our customers. This includes repair, maintenance and refurbishment of our housing and public buildings. To deliver the duties of this role and meet the needs of the business and its customers the successful post holders will be expected to travel throughout the district and surrounding areas.
These roles include assisting the team of trade operatives in carrying out their duties; this will involve the safe and timely transport of operatives, materials and equipment to, from and between sites. The post holders will be required to clear sites before and after work has been completed ensuring that any waste removed from site is disposed of correctly and in accordance with Council procedures.
Key areas of responsibility
- Transport operatives, materials, and equipment to, from and between sites.
- Assist operatives in carrying out their duties, i.e., lifting, loading/unloading, footing ladders, mixing plaster, etc.
- Clean and clear sites before, during and after work has been completed, including voids, leaving the site clean and tidy.
- Remove waste from site and dispose of it correctly following agreed Council procedures.
- Collect items from Stores and local suppliers.
- When required erect tower scaffolding on site ensuring that the scaffold is fit for purpose and complies with the relevant legislation, for which you may be expected to complete specific training
- Keep the vehicle clean and tidy and in good mechanical order carrying out daily maintenance checks. Always ensure vehicle security.
- Always drive safely and courteously, comply with all traffic regulations.
- Maintain good working relationships with Kirklees tenants, members of the public and Officers of the Council.
- Keep the depot or site clean and tidy.
- Complete all relevant records using the required methods, including tachograph, PDAs if required.
Our employees are at the very heart of the services we provide to the community, to help us achieve our ambitions, we want the best possible team. In return, we will make sure you are rewarded with a great range of staff benefits to support you in and out of work.